Marriage License Info

During the ceremony, and before at least two witnesses, each party must say the words "I AB, take you CD, to be my legal wife/husband" or words to similar effect.

What you Need to do Before you can get Married
For a guide to help you in your preparations to marry in New Zealand, download the brochure from Department of Internal Affairs:
Getting Married: a guide for couples preparing to get married in New Zealand.

Decide when and where you want to get married
You will need to know when and where you want to get married when you complete your application for a marriage licence. You should also choose an alternative venue in the event that the weather prevents you from marrying at your primary venue.

Choose a Marriage Celebrant
In New Zealand you must be married by an appointed marriage celebrant..
You will need to contact me and agree on a time and place before applying for your marriage licence.

Get a Marriage Licence
To get a licence you will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage application form - (BDM 60, BDM 58 or BDM 59) If either of you have been married or in a civil union before, and the marriage or civil union has been dissolved, you will be asked to produce evidence of the dissolution (e.g. Divorce/Dissolution Order) when you give notice to the Registrar. If your previous spouse or partner has died you do not have to produce evidence of their death, but you will have to give the date of death on the Notice of Intended Marriage.To get your marriage license contact Births Deaths and marriages check out this page of their web site BDM

Make a Statutory Declaration
As part of completing the application form for a marriage licence, you need to make a statutory declaration. Either you or your partner will need to make a formal statutory declaration that there is no lawful impediment to the marriage (i.e. no legal reason that you both cannot be married), that the details given are true, that the bride and groom are not within the "prohibited degrees of relationship" and that consent has been given (where relevant).

If you live in New Zealand one of you must make this declaration in the presence of a Registrar of Marriages.